Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Online friending

We've met a handful of couples who have met online, some of them through dating services.  I'm always fascinated by their stories of how it worked out.  Several years ago I would have scoffed at it, thinking what a crazy way to meet someone.  Here it is 2011 and I don't think it's crazy at all.  I can see how people can get to know each other pretty well over the internet and then after meeting could develop a relationship.

I've had several instances where this has happened to me.  Yes, James knows all about it and no, not through dating services.  I'm just talking friendships.  Most of the people I've met through the internet are through ads I've answered on Craigslist so it's not like I really got to know much about them over the internet.  I contacted them, purchased something from them, then when I went to pick up my new animal, hit it off with them and then  continued the friendship through emails and further visits with each other.

The way today's connection was made was a little different.  It was through a raw milk forum.  About a month ago a woman from New Zealand asked a question on the forum and I emailed her to say hello and tell her how much we loved visiting her country.  Another woman from VA also posted that she had been to NZ and loved it.  I emailed her and I guess I asked her where in VA she lived.  I can't even remember how this went.  We discovered we live 20 minutes from each other so today we finally got to meet in person after having exchanged several emails.  I went to her house and she and her daughter gave me a tour of their farm.  She and I both laughed about meeting online.  I don't think there was a moment of silence my entire visit.  We had much in common and one topic of conversation led to another.  Like us, they have goats, chickens, ducks, dogs and gardens.  Like James, her husband also writes poetry (he's a college professor).  It was a fun visit and I hope to get to know them better in the near future and not just online. 

Future generations will laugh at how we used to meet the old fashioned way - in person.

2 comments:

  1. That is a neat story Karen. Happy that I met you online as well. Could you imagine what your life would be like if you didn't have Chy and little Shiloh?! Glad you answered my ad because you are a great friend!
    Emily~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good reason to buy things on Craigslist. I have met many wonderful people through my animals though usually from buying hay, going to a spinning event, or symposium but I have met a few on line. Guess I need to buy more stuff-- or maybe sell stuff.

    ReplyDelete