Sunday, January 2, 2011

Not so many holes in my jeans lately

Cold weather sure puts a damper in my activity level.  I don't go outside as much, therefore I don't seem to get as much accomplished as usual.  I haven't had any good projects going lately either.  Because I haven't been as active I'm not wearing jeans as often because I'm a bit pudgier and wearing elastic waste pants.  Ahhhh, don't you love the excuse for wearing sweat pants in the winter?

Today was near 60 degrees though so I had no excuse not to be outdoors.  I cleaned both barns and added the 4 big wagon loads of manure to the greenhouse compost, ie, heater.  Because of my lack of conditioning I have a heating pad on my lower back right now.  Sheesh, am I getting old or just out of shape?  Never mind, I don't need comments on this.  I already know the answer.

I started a project this week in our basement.  We have a small room that houses 2 giant safes, our on-demand water heater, shelves that held many cans of paint and some other random crap we don't know what to do with.  I've ripped out those shelves and piled all the paint cans, "stuff" and the wood shelving all over the basement. It's a real mess.
I want to make this a room to store my cheeses in when I get back to making cheese again in April.  The safe/cheese cave didn't work out like I had planned so my cheeses are back to the basement shelves.  I'm still not sure how I want to store them and did some searches today to find the best wood to store them on.  It appears birch is the favorite wood for shelves.  I don't know how I'll cool the room or keep the humidity where I want it either but I love ripping rooms apart so I did that without a real plan, as I'm wont to do.  Here are the shelves before.

 And here they are after I've torn out most of the shelves.
The shelves were too deep before to be able to work with the cheeses.  I don't want them to be more than 2 wheels deep. Stay tuned for further development of the cheese room

Here's another picture I thought I'd include which has nothing to do with cheese or my lack of activity.  A friend came by with some quail eggs that I thought were really cool.  I'd never seen any before.  In this picture there are 2 dozen eggs in a carton much smaller than a regular egg carton.  They look like Easter candy.
We traded some of her quail eggs for my green eggs.  I don't know what I'm going to do with mine yet.  Aren't they cool looking?  Maybe I should get some quail (quails?)

2 comments:

  1. Love the beginnings of your new Cheese Room!

    I understand there are far fewer quail than there used to be in Rockbridge County. I heard it was because of reduced habitat but maybe quail is a preferred snack for hawks. I think you should have some though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mary pannabecker SteinerJanuary 3, 2011 at 11:00 AM

    Uh oh. The purge and clean has infected your house too....isn't it fun????

    And you are NOT pudgy. Never will be.

    Love you,
    mps

    ReplyDelete