Monday, January 31, 2011

The 4 W's - Waiting, Watching, Wondering and Worrying

My tiny Daisy Mae will be having a baby any time now.  I gave her a due date of January 30th.  That is 145 days from the day she slipped through the fence to be with the boys.  She's only 7 1/2 months old, way too young to be having a baby even if she wasn't so tiny for her age.  One of my friends told me I'm a terrible mother and he's right.  I should have blocked the fence up after the first time I saw her walk through the 8 by 6 inch squares.  I still haven't completed the job of placing more fencing over that fencing but I've gotten some of it done.  It will be completed in the next week though.  You can see in this picture how I've wired 2X4 welded wire fencing over the lower part of the cattle panels where a tiny goat could squeeze through.
For the past month or more I have worried about this birth.  I considered aborting it but the vet talked me out of it.  We discussed a C section but then decided we'd let things progress as I do with others and hope for the best.  So now I wait.  I've been checking on her every hour or so during the day and I've gotten nothing done today because I keep watching her out my window.  This afternoon it appears her ligaments around her tail have softened so that means it should be in the next 24 hours or so.  We'll see.  Here's a picture of her tiny little udder.  I hope she has enough milk for the baby.  Other goat owners will understand why I took this picture.  The rest of you can now be sure I'm just a crazy person.  If you followed the goat forum I do you'd see stranger (and grosser) pictures than this. 
I'm sure I won't sleep tonight because I'll be wondering if she needs me.  I can't see her out my window now so I need to go check on her.


To be continued.......

4 comments:

  1. I am here if you need me. And by the way you are a Great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She needed you and you did a great job. Sorry about the stillbirth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I'm sorry too! How is Daisy Mae?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
    Short but very precise information… Thank you
    for sharing this one. A must read article!
    Feel free to visit my site :: free iphone 5

    ReplyDelete