Sunday, September 13, 2009

41 eggs in one day from 10 hens?


I'd been gathering an average of 6 to 8 eggs a day and kind of wondering why I hadn't been getting just a few more. Every now and then I'd see a hen playing up in the hayloft but I didn't give it a whole lot of thought. They didn't seem to stay up there long so I didn't suspect they were doing anything but checking things out until 2 days ago I heard one of them up there singing the egg laying song. Uh oh. I decided to get a ladder and take a look. What I saw made me laugh so hard and I had to drag James out to see it for himself. There were 35 eggs up there in 2 nests, side by side. I think the one got full so they had to move forward and make another one. We had no idea how old most of them were so I cooked them up and put them in the fridge to add to the dog's food every day which makes them very happy. Later I collected 6 more eggs from the nests they're supposed to be laying in. Yesterday I gathered 9 eggs which is more like what I expected from 10 laying hens.

No comments:

Post a Comment