Friday, October 8, 2010

My husband's going to hell(gate)

We live less than a mile and a half from the start of an ultra-marathon (an ultra is anything longer than a marathon).  It's called Hellgate 100K.  Actually, I think it's longer than 100K.  I think it's 66 miles, give or take.  What difference does it make when you're running that far right?  It's not just 66 miles of running, but 66 miles of running on trails up and down mountains.  Those who finish under 18 hours receive an award.  The race begins at midnight December 11th. 

James and another 50- some year old friend decided they want to run it.  I kind of brushed it off as two middle-aged men who needed to prove something to themselves.  Yesterday was the first day you could send in your entry.  You see, they only allow a limited number of people to run it, something like 130.  Yeah, it's hard to imagine that many people standing in line wanting to do this, isn't it?  Not only do they have to apply to run it, answering questions for the race director to decide if they're worthy, but they have to pay $150.00.  James received a reply today from the director asking for a little more information.  After receiving it he told him he was in.  He signed off the email saying, Now can you, will you finish?  In Christ, David Horton.   James hasn't heard yet if his friend has been accepted yet.

I feel like I need to explain to you that my husband is a very smart man.  No, really, he is.  I'm not sure why he needs to do this but I'll be proud of him when he finishes, which I know he will do.  Afterall, it's only 16 miles longer than the last ultra he ran.  No pressure, James.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment