Saturday, October 2, 2010

Adam's first taste of chicken processing

I received an email last week from a chicken farmer who got my name from Joe and Linda, the last folks I worked for.  I don't know if I mentioned this in my blog or not, but Joe and Linda moved back to Washington state so my career as a chicken processor came to a halt this summer, or so I thought.  Anyway, they gave my name to Brent and Melissa, who then contacted me.  I hesitated at first but then thought, why not.  I asked if they could use 2 more hands today because Adam was going to be home for the weekend.  Being a college student, Adam needs money and chicken butchering is decent pay for a struggling 20 year old with bills to pay.  Aside from working at home together, Adam and I had never worked side-by-side for someone else.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I started out gutting chickens while Adam scalded, put them through the plucker and beheaded them and removed their feet.  I hope he doesn't have strange dreams tonight.  

There were 9 of us - a lively and friendly group.  It was a beautiful setting, surrounded by incredible views of mountain range after mountain range.  I wish I had taken a picture of the views from the front porch of the farm house.  Maybe Tuesday, when I work again I'll take my camera.  The chicken farmer, Brent, was a laid back guy who invited us all into his home and offered us ice cream and pizza for lunch while we waited for the chickens to chill.  In all, we handled about 460 chickens in about 5 1/2 hours.

On the way home Adam asked why I worked at these chicken farms.  I told him it was good to make new contacts and see how other people do things.  And besides, I kind of enjoy it.  It sounds crazy even to me.

When we got home Adam found a souvenir in his wallet - a white feather.  I wonder what he'll tell his friends back at school.

2 comments:

  1. I was afraid you were going to say the souvenir he found in his wallet was a chicken foot. I think cutting off heads and feet would be a hard way to start. Good for Adam-- what WILL he tell his friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have had a busy weekend! Glad you and Adam got to enjoy some time together. Hope you all are well! Come see Dallas before he turns into a complete brat! :-) You may just be too late. Emily~

    ReplyDelete