Monday, November 29, 2010

Sam-I-Am will be pleased

Our 2 pullets who were born here in June have finally started laying eggs.  One of them started a few weeks ago and I was so disappointed to find she laid a brown egg like the rest of my hens.  I was told our rooster was an Araucana rooster, which is a blue egg laying breed (actually a crossbreed) so his genes crossed with my brown egg laying hens should produce a green egg layer.  I'd given up hope on these girls and figured I was going to have to purchase some blue egg layers this next spring if I wanted any colored eggs, but then today when I went out to check the nests I was surprised to find this very pale green egg.  It's hard to tell in the picture that it's green because it's so pale but take my word for it.

And here's the girl who laid it.
Now if only we had some ham.

1 comment:

  1. How cool is that! I want blue and green eggs too. Lets talk next spring.

    ReplyDelete