Sunday, May 16, 2010

Need New Fencing

The outside perimeter of our property is fenced in with old wire fencing.  I was so please not to have to put fencing up there.  I probably should have replaced it though.  The goats stand with their front feet on the fence so they can reach the honeysuckle vines on the other side.  Today James was working in the field garden when someone stopped their car and said, "are those your goats?"  All of our smaller goats were on the outside of the fence by the road eating poison ivy.  Their feet had broken the wire and made big holes they could easily get through.  I had just gotten out of the shower when James called to tell me they were loose.  By the time I got out there James had already gotten them back in.  He had to climb a bank loaded with poison ivy to steer them back.  Now they're closed in their smaller pen until I do some fence repair.  I don't know what I should do.   I have other fence work to do too and I could use those T posts that I'm replacing with 4x4's for the perimeter fencing.  This is all going to take so much time and I'm not sure where to begin or how to do it right.  Why can't they just stay in the pasture and eat grass like sheep?

On a funnier note.  Three little girls (ages 7, 5 and 4) came over to play, along with their toddler brother.  All of them were in the fence with the goats.  It was funny to watch them playing with the goats like they were toys or dolls.  Kind of like playing house.  They were holding onto Luti and Pessa'a collars and leading them all around and the goats just went wherever they were led.  At one point I heard the girls "putting the goats to bed".   They had put different goats in different stalls and closed them in.  I don't know why the goats allowed them to do it unless they just liked being played with by little girls.  There was no food involved.  All the while there was little girl chatter going on.  I wish I could have videoed it.

1 comment:

  1. We had a great niece and nephew visiting yesterday. Kaley was trying to feed the sheep and as she put it "they are crowding, they're too close". Maybe they were a problem because there was food involved. "Stay in the pasture and eat grass like sheep" ? Mine would not be in the pasture if I did not have the fence I have. They are always trying to get out. I am glad I hired a fencer but now I have a hard time justifying the cost of more fence.

    ReplyDelete