Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring is in the air

Today we're getting showers and it feels more like April.  Why is it spring puts a bounce in your step?  I get it, that's why it's called spring, it puts a spring in your step.  All these years and I'm just now getting it.  As I type I hear thunder rumbling which really reminds me of warmer weather.

No more babies arrived today (yet) but I did have another surprise waiting for me this morning.  One of my ducks laid an egg for me.  She left it where I could find it, right in the middle of the mud by their boat.  It's not a whole lot bigger than a chicken egg.  Maybe they'll get bigger as they mature but my ducks aren't very big so maybe not.  It's whitish but not pure white.  I cooked it up and did a taste comparison with a chicken egg.  I don't know if it was a texture thing or what but I liked the chicken egg best.  I'm going to do it again or let James do the next taste test.  Anyway, it was pretty exciting.  Here it is next to a chicken egg.
I've been watching Pessa closely today and she's definitely getting closer to kidding but I think it will be tomorrow and not tonight.  I'll probably check on her in the middle of the night anyway.  Today I touched her side and felt a very large body part of a baby.  I hope they're not too big.  I'm hoping for 3 girls.  I'll probably get 3 boys. 

Today I milked Luti a little because her udder is so huge and hard.  I wish the babies would nurse more.  She stood very still as long as she had food in front of her but she was hard to milk on one side since she was so tight.  I'm going to try it again tonight.  I'm freezing the colostrum I get just in case I need it for other babies.

This week James planted lots of stuff in his garden.  With these warmer temperatures and rain things should start sprouting in no time.  This is an exciting time for us, new babies, new growth.  I can't remember having this much fun.  I think I have spring fever.

2 comments:

  1. Ditto. I could have posted the smae post- except for the duck egg : )
    Our field greened up amazingly today- it's a magical time, isn't it?
    And since I'm a lazy commentor, I'll tell you here- adorable picture of you as a midwife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Pannabecker SteinerMarch 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM

    Our gardens are sprouting tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, daffodils all over the place. Too bad we can't eat them. If it dries up some next week, maybe I can plant spinach and lettuce. Might do it in big containers instead.

    I know I have spring fever. I'm cleaning the house like crazy. It's a disease brought on by the rain. I can't wait to be over it, which will happen as soon as the sun comes back out.

    ReplyDelete