Saturday, March 6, 2010

All ends well

I didn't sleep well the night after Shamus was born because I was worried I'd wake up to find him dead.  I don't remember worrying about this with the past babies but maybe I did.  He looked so tiny and sleepy that night and I was worried he wouldn't nurse.  I got to the barn quicker than usual the next morning to find him standing under his mom nursing away looking healthy and happy.  Poppy, though, still had the placenta hanging out of her.  It usually falls out of the mother within 4 hours after the birth.  I called my good friend Ed and he told me to tie it in a knot so it wouldn't drag on the ground and it would provide more weight.  I did that.  Four hours later it was still there.  By now it smelled bad too and the chickens were trying to get at it which was irritating Poppy.  I went on my goat forum and posted pictures of her back end.  She's very swollen too.  I got all kinds of responses some of which made me panicky, ie, rush her to the vet, she has a prolapsed uterus, if it gets tugged on she could bleed out, etc.   I had already called the vet but he was out for the day and supposed to call me back.  One person on the forum suggested I tie a small baggie of water to the placenta and within an hour it should fall out.  I was nervous about doing that but didn't know what else to do so I tried it.  I had to go to a friend's house for a while so I asked James to check on her and then call when/if it fell out.  He called in less than an hour.  I was so relieved.  Adam is home for Spring break so I asked him to go to the vet and pick up the pennicillin the vet prescribed before they closed.  I'm giving that to her for the next 2 days hoping to prevent infection.  James is going to help me give her a bath today and put some Preparation H on her swelling.  Kind of makes you all want to have goats doesn't it? 

I will video Shamus today.  He's already bouncing.

1 comment:

  1. Mary Pannabecker SteinerMarch 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM

    Yeah, now I really want to have some goats. Eeeehhhhh....well, a boy would be okay. Maybe Shamus?

    ReplyDelete