Saturday, March 13, 2010

A dozen goats

On April 4th, 2009 our first 2 goats came to live with us.  Today our 11th and 12th goats were born.  It all happened so fast.  In this time I have also parted with 5 goats.  Eventually I'm going to have to stop counting goats that come and go I guess.  I think the hard part of owning dairy goats is deciding who to keep and who to sell because you always want to know who is going to produce the most and best milk and babies.  It takes a few years to really find out each goat's potential.  I wonder how many goats I'll have in another year. 

Today Pessa delivered a little (well, not so little) boy and girl.  Their names are Dodger and Clarice.  This was Pessa's second time to kid and she's handling the mothering like a pro.  Even the kids seem to know what they're doing.  They were up walking and nursing in no time.  No one was here to witness the births except for me so I'm glad it all went smoothly.  As always, they're adorable. 

Here's a video of them right after the birth.

http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af317/kpannabecker/?action=view&current=MVI_2700.flv

I love this picture of Shasta coming over to check out the new babies.

I'll try to get some better pictures or video of all the babies tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment