Friday, January 8, 2010

"Too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the broth"

I've always thought of myself as a team player but now I'm rethinking that.  My two friends, who I went to see Julie and Julia with, their daughters and I are making dinner together (kind of) tomorrow night.  We've talked about the 3 of us doing this regularly and it sounded like a good idea right after the movie.  After I sat on it a while I thought, what was I thinking?  I hate sharing my kitchen.  I know, that sounds selfish doesn't it?  I love when friends sit in my kitchen and keep me company but I want them to sit there, drink some wine and talk, not help me cook.  Of course they're welcome to set the table or fix drinks.  That's not the same as them asking, "where's a sharp knife?" or "how big do you want me to cut these?" or "what else can I do?" or "do you think that's enough?"  Maybe I feel this way because I've always had a small kitchen and there's not enough room.  Maybe it's because I'm a control freak.  No, that can't be it.  Or maybe it could.

So, about this dinner.  It's not at my house so it'll be fun I think.  We're not doing it like we originally thought.  This meal was their 9th grade daughter's idea so we're doing what they chose.  We're each in charge of 2 courses.  Mine are bread and a starch.  I'll make mine at home and take it there or maybe finish them off at their house.  I'm going to try really hard not to be annoying in Laura's kitchen.  If they want me to sit at the bar, drink a glass of wine and talk I'll be perfectly happy to do that too.

I should add, if you come to my house for dinner I promise I won't get mad if you clean up the kitchen. You can hardly spoil dishwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment