Friday, March 27, 2015

Our numbers are increasing quickly

It's amazing how quickly we can go from 7 goats to 11.  Luti proved to be her prolific self again this year giving us 3 girls and 1 boy.  She waited for me to arrive at the barn before pushing.  They're adorable, of course.  I hope she can feed all 4 because I prefer not to bottle feed if I can help it.  I'll know by tomorrow if they're all getting fed.  It's not as if Luti doesn't have enough milk.  It's more about who gets to the teats first before she walks away.   Here's a picture of Luti a few days before kidding.  As you can see she could probably raise 6 kids on what she produces if only she had 6 teats.
They're very different looking so it's easy to tell them apart.  I should give Cooper a little credit for these babies too since he's the daddy.



Anyone need a bottle baby?  I can easily put one or 2 on a bottle and send them home with you.  They're cheaper if I don't have to raise them.

I'm glad I moved Rex over to the pigs' side of the field because I'm afraid he'd hurt the baby goats.  As it is he's a little too playful with the piglets but Mickey keeps an eye on him and corrects him if she disapproves.  He loves these little pigs and is almost always near them.

We had another arrival at the farm today.  I got the truck stuck in the mud once again and had to walk back to the house.  On my way back I heard a loud meowing by the side of the road.  A sweet kitty practically begged me to pick her up and take her back to the house for breakfast.  I don't know where she belongs but she has to have been handled because she's way too friendly to be a feral cat.  She's a youngster but not tiny like Willy was when she showed up.  One of her eyes is green and the other blue but we're not sure if the blue is a cataract or a true blue.  We're calling her Willy 2 Eye Of Blue.  It took no time at all for Baxter to adopt her.  She adores him.


More kids to come.  I think Lily is due tomorrow.  Cato is the sire so it will be fun to see what the 2 of them produce.  I'm hoping she'll have a single or twins.  She's the doe who prolapsed after kidding last year and had a trip to the vet to put her back together.   I'm hoping she has an easy time of it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment