Thursday, April 2, 2015

No one can resist the babies

Two more babies arrived today.  Lily gave birth to a pair of giant boys.  Last year (her first time) she had 2 tiny kids which didn't survive and she had a prolapsed uterus.  You can imagine I was a bit nervous about her kidding this year.  And then to have such huge kids!  I'm pleased to report it all went
as smoothly as I could have hoped for.  She did let out a big scream as the first mammoth goat found its way out though.  They were up walking in minutes.  They seem mature for newborns.  They figured out how to nurse very quickly.  I put one of Luti's week old kids next to Lily's and the newborns are bigger than the week olds.  Check out this face.
He looks very much like Lily except he has more black on him.  His brother is dark brown.
Raisa and Papa were fascinated with them.  Papa and one of the kids were nose-to-nose but Keri chased Papa away before I got the picture.  
Keri really takes ownership of the kids.  It's funny how the goat mamas won't let other goats near their kids but they'll allow Keri to lick them.  I don't get it.  Keri laid next to Lily as she was pushing the first kid out.  It didn't bother Lily at all.
No babies are more popular with the other animals than the piglets.  I think everyone loves these little guys.  They walk back and forth through the fence so sometimes they're with Keri and sometimes they're with Rex.  One day I saw all 7 piglets following Rex like he was the Pied Piper.  It was so cute.

I've seen them sleeping next to Windsor, my steer, too but I don't have a picture of that.  

More babies soon.  It looks like Darla is next.  I hope her kids are much smaller than Lily's.

No comments:

Post a Comment