Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Shake it off

I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake shake, shake it off, shake it off.

I thought about scaring all my readers off by having James video me dancing to Taylor Swift's video but I'm kind of shy so you'll just have to imagine me shaking it off.  It's not pretty anywhere except in my mind.

It's been that kind of day.  You know the kind.  The day when you get a phone call from your neighbor friend telling you your 7 piglets are in the road stopping traffic and you have to put your cup of coffee down and race out only to find them squeezing back through the fence.  After returning from milking you realize you forgot to let your chickens out of their barn because you were so stressed out about how you were going to keep the pigs in, only to find one of your 2 only laying hens dead on the floor.  No bites, no evidence of foul play.   I felt like throwing a tantrum and then curling up on the floor and crying.  Very mature, I know.  I can be like that.

Also, my best milker/herd queen/sweetest girl, Luti, has been limping for a few months.  I thought it was from carrying so many kids and a huge udder.  Today I discovered she has an abscess on her hoof.  At least I now know what to treat.  For a while I didn't know if it was her hip, leg or hoof.

This weekend was an idyllic weekend really. (enter the butterflies and singing birds).  We went to a few parties and had some great laughs.  We hunted for morels then sat on the deck with good friends having drinks and a  thrown-together dinner.  Perfect.  It had to end, right?  Why did it have to end?

I spent today closing off a smaller space of a few acres for the pigs, like I always do this time of year, with electric ribbon.  This way they have to stay on just a few acres so I can plant the rest of the field with greens, pumpkins and melons.  Unfortunately I discovered piglets chewing on the electric wire and ribbon shortly after I installed it.  Maybe the solar battery didn't have enough charge to shock them, I don't know. It doesn't stop them from walking through the outer fencing.  A few more pounds and they won't be able to fit through.


After fretting about the pigs, I sat on my tractor, Betty, and cut grass for a while.  This may have been what I needed to put things in perspective.  Breathing in diesel fumes will do that to you.  In with the diesel - out with the diesel.  Betty made me better.

Nothing has changed really.  I saw the pigs have escaped the electric ribboned in area but I'm in a different frame of mind.  Sometimes I just need to sit and be still with the animals.  Watching Windsor drink from a leak in the hose is soothing to me.


Sometimes days like this I need to remember to count my blessings.  Here are 4 little blessings prancing through the field.








1 comment: