Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Heartbreaking

Lots has been happening here and it's been hard to get to my blogging.  I picked up another little buckling Sunday.  He came with the name Jimmy and I think I'm going to keep that.  He's 8 weeks old and adorable.  He's a mini-Lamancha.  I got him from the same breeder I got Witty from.  This fall I'll breed him with my 3 mini-lamancha does.  I'm bottle feeding him for a few weeks then I'll wean him.  He sucks 8 to 10 ounces down in 30 seconds. 

I decided it was time to separate the other buckling and weathers from their moms the same day so all the boys would be together.  It all seemed to go well....until yesterday.  They were so busy playing together and inspecting their new yard that they didn't notice their moms and sisters were missing.  All day yesterday they 3 of them cried for their moms and some of the moms cried too.  It was so hard to listen to.  I ran errands so I wouldn't have to but James was in the garden and had to listen to it all day.  One of them was so desperate he sounded like a toddler or baby the first time you drop him off at a babysitter's house.  I mean, he screamed at the top of his lungs.  I actually got a little teary-eyed for a second.  I would have loved to put him back with his mom but I know I can't do that.  They could touch noses with their moms through the fence but that didn't seem to help.

Last night was the first night in a long time that I had to milk.  Three of them had lots to give so I ended up getting a total of 2 1/2 gallons of milk yesterday. 

It's much quieter and relaxed here today, thank goodness. 
Here's a picture of Shamus and Jimmy getting to know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment