Wednesday, October 7, 2009

More ideas

I have all these eggs.  What should I do with them?  It's a shame to throw away all those shells.   Of course we eat the eggs but the shells are so pretty, surely they could be useful for something.  I have a few ideas.  One of the ideas seemed brilliant but, like the paint-sprayer-milking-machine-idea, it didn't go quite like I pictured.  First I used my Dremel to drill a tiny hole in one end of 4 eggs and a little larger hole in the other end.  I blew out the egg to save for eating later.  To clean the egg inside and out I put the shells in boiling water with vinegar in it.  I boiled them for, oh, maybe 15 minutes.  I read that the outside of the shell has a coating on it and it was removed by boiling in vinegar water and then wiping them off.  The shells were lighter in color and not as pretty.  I drained the shells and let them dry.  Next I put them in very hot vinegar water with orange food coloring in it hoping to make the eggs pumpkin colored.  They barely changed colors at all.  Oh well, it didn't matter because I was going to coat them in sugar anyway.  First I rolled them in a thinned down Elmers glue water then rolled them in sugar.  I didn't have enough glue in the water I guess because the sugar stuck all clumpy-like in some places and popped off later.  I rinsed them off and started again with more glue.  This time it stuck but still wasn't beautiful.  The next job was to fill them with chocolate with a little almond flavoring.  I melted the chocolate and put it in a plastic baggy with a hole cut in the corner.  I squeezed the chocolate into the larger of the 2 holes in the egg which I didn't make nearly big enough.  The chocolate was burning my hand because I couldn't do it fast enough.  Can you guess what happened next?  Because the egg shell got so hot the sugar melted off.  Crimini!  I rinsed the egg again and drew a face on it.  So now I have one egg filled with chocolate.  I gave up on the rest.  I thought it would be a really neat idea to crack open an egg and find it filled with chocolate. 

Here's my next idea for the egg shells, fill them with homemade goat milk soap.  They'd make really cool soap molds don't you think?  I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment