Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Greenhouse is ready for action


Yesterday I finished building the guts of the greenhouse.  The table in the back came out of our garage.  The 2 tables on the sides are an old sign Adam brought home from the campground down the road.  I cut it in half and put legs on them.  Underneath the one on the right is a box built out of old oak fencing for James to put manure and compost in to heat the greenhouse.  The top board is hinged so he can fold it down so a shovel fits in.  On the back table I used cut off sections from our columns as shelf support.  I drilled holes in them so they could be filled with dirt and plants could grow through the holes.  We've decided to cover the tables with plastic for fear the tables will rot from all the water.  It's not very pretty but I think it's going to work.  Hopefully I'll take some pictures later to show you lots of green plants and vegetables growing in there.

In the second picture you can see new grass growing around the greenhouse.  That's winter wheat James planted.  Soon we're going to run out of our  wheat from a few years ago that we use for our bread.  I don't think this will be ready by the time that runs out.  He planted wheat in 3 different gardens in the past 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment