Saturday, October 17, 2009

Goat milk soap

Today I made my first attempt at making goat milk soap.  I won't know till tomorrow if it turned out or not.  Actually, I won't know if it's any good until 4 weeks from now when it's fully cured.  Who'd have thought soap could be so expensive to make and so dangerous?  I didn't, that's for sure.  I really knew nothing about soap making.  The ingredients are expensive, cocoanut oil, palm kernal oil, olive oil, almond oil, sodium hydroxide (which I was really scared to work with) and goat milk.  I sure hope it turns out and we like it.  I put rosemary in it. 

I wore my rubber gloves and goggles when I was working with the lye (sodium hydroxide) and was so careful because I read a horrible story about a young child pouring it down his front and losing some of his eyesight and burning his skin terribly.  How can something so caustic be used in something we bathe with?  Crazy! 

I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment