Monday, August 31, 2009

More praise for freecycle.org

I've mentioned freecycle before but I'm going to mention it again because I think it's such a great idea. I'm sure it will come up again. Today I posted fresh basil along with other herbs we have an abundance of. Within minutes I had 2 responses with people interested. I called one of them and they said they'd be here within a few hours. They lived in Lexington, just 20 or 25 minutes away.

Today I was cutting grass and the belt to the mower broke. Darn, I was hoping to finish cutting before my parents arrived tomorrow. I called our Southern States store to order two more belts but didn't feel like driving there to get them today. James suggested I ask the people coming to get the basil if they would mind picking up our belts. At first I thought that might be a little weird but then, why not? I called the guy and he was happy to get them for me. I had asked the store to bill me for them so the guy picking them up didn't have to worry about that. He arrived with his little girl, Sarah, maybe 4 years old. We cut lots of basil, some cilantro, rosemary, a few carrots, a pumpkin and a watermelon. Sara was adorable. She visited with my goats and got an egg from the chicken's nest. Very nice people. They had just come from the Asian Pear orchard and shared a few pears with us.

After they left I called the other person who was interested. She came over 30 minutes later and took all the basil we had plus some cilantro. She told me she also raises Nigerian Dwarf goats and has babies 3 weeks old. She sounded relatively new to all of it too. Of course that got us to talking about our animals and we promised to save each other's phone numbers and emails. She also has chickens and said they ate all her basil plants.

I think I like meeting the people through freecycle as much as I like the idea of people sharing their stuff and it not going to waste. I wish more people would sign up. Ours isn't a very big group yet so we don't get many postings in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment