Friday, August 7, 2009

How many things can we do with tomatoes?

James plants so many tomatoes every year so he spends lots of time picking and canning them. Last year he canned about 76 quarts. We make pizza about once a week so we figured we'd go through it pretty fast. We still have 20 quarts left and already he's canned 30 more from this year. There are still lots to pick so we're trying to figure out what else we can do with them besides eat them at every meal.

I don't know why I didn't think of it before but a friend of mine asked why I bought salsa and didn't make it. Good question. Why didn't I. Now I can say I have. I made about 6 quarts and James canned it. Another thing I was buying was tomato paste. So yesterday I made some of that, only 5 small containers though because it takes lots of tomatoes to make a small amount of paste. It cooked for 5 or 6 hours instead of the 3 that the recipe told me. I'll make more of that today. I think the next thing I'll try is barbecue sauce.

I'll have to Google for other ideas unless someone out there gives me some. Now, if we can come up with other ways to use squash besides, canning, pickling, freezing and giving away.

James told me he thinks we have 40 cantaloupes in the garden but they're not ripe yet. He said some of the watermelons are ready to eat though. I don't know how many of them there are but we planted a bunch. The chickens will be thrilled. They love watermelon rinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment