Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Some days I feel like a farmer

Today was one of those days I felt like a real farmer.  After morning milking and feeding I went out to the field to give Jaz her meds and noticed the big gate needed attention.  It seems like hanging a farm gate should be easy, right?  I can build a barn but ask me to hang a gate plumb and I fall short.  Maybe I wasn't feeling like such a farmer after that.  I did get it hung though.  Perhaps it was so hard because my buck, Cooper, insisted on helping me by rubbing his stink all over me and licking me.  So now I not only feel like a farmer, I smell like one.  The falling rain seemed to make his cologne even worse.

Rainy days are good for cheese making so I made gruyere cheese till the rain subsided.  I need to be in a certain mood to butcher a chicken and today just happened to be one of those days.  Don't ask what that mood is because I can't describe it.  We have lots of roosters and we need to slim down before winter so I headed out to the yard with a large net in hand.  I just did one and butchering was an easy task.  I cut it up and we had legs and thighs for dinner along with eggplant, squash and potatoes from the garden.  I think Lex was feeling like a farm dog today too because he got goat milk, an egg, whey and a chicken foot.  I hear his tummy grumbling now and I hope I don't have to clean up his farm dog food in another form later on.  Keri never seems bothered by stuff like this.  She eats all kinds of things.  I'm not sure she's so thrilled with store-bought dog food. 

It cleared up to be a lovely evening so I put a halter and lead on Macaroni and took him for a walk around the perimeter of our field.  He was so eager and interested in his surroundings and never questioned where I was taking him.  He walked right down to the creek with no hesitation.  Next we crossed the road so I could show him where I live.  He met the turkeys and a barking Keri through the fence.  He was nonplussed.  We only quit because it got dark.  I can't wait till I can ride him.  Hopefully tomorrow. 

I think I need a bath to wash this farmer feeling off me.

4 comments:

  1. I'd say your day qualifies you to feel like a real farmer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny that you have to be in the right mood to butcher a chicken, I know Tim has expressed that same idea; we have eaten maybe 6 of our chickens so far and we still have 8 roosters left! We are going to thin down to two. Are you getting eggs? We"re not yet but hope to any day now - I can't wait for that! Sounds like a pretty close to perfect day to me. Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phyllis, we're getting 8 or 9 eggs a day now but we have lots of chickens. We're also getting a few duck eggs a day. Wow, I think you got me beat with number of roosters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great farm day to me and you were very productive! Can you tell me how you butcher your roosters?

    ReplyDelete