Friday, March 8, 2013

Bathing a chicken

I have a hen who has been sickly for the past 6 days or so.  She's been lethargic and has a poopy butt.  I would have thought she was egg bound but she would have died after a few days if that was the case....I think.  She has a few buddies who hang out with her off and on which is sweet. 

This afternoon I decided to see if I could help her.   Even though it doesn't seem possible she's egg bound I thought I'd google that and see how to treat her.  I read that you could soak their behind in warm water and maybe it would help pass the egg.  What the heck, might as well try.  I filled a basin with warm water and sat her in it.  I thought for sure she'd fight it but she didn't.  She sat in the warm water for at least 10 minutes looking very relaxed.  I didn't have to hold her there or anything.
I know when I don't feel well I like taking a bath so maybe she felt the same way.  I took her out, wrapped her in a Scooby doo towel and held her in the sun for awhile until she decided she'd had enough cuddling.  I watched her preen herself and do some pooping.  I never saw her pass a soft egg or anything so I don't know if I helped her or not but she looked perkier.  I'll see tomorrow if she looks any better.  Maybe she'd like another bath.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love how when you try to help and something comes to mind and it seems to have positive results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is she doing now?
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete