Monday, March 7, 2016

Luti's girls, Linus and Lucy

I know you're thinking Linus is a boy's name but my niece came up with the names and she and I decided Linus could be a girl's name too.  This is Lucy. Every year it seems Luti has one white kid.
I love the white ones.
Linus is more colorful.
I had said I wasn't keeping any kids this year but I'm so tempted to keep these girls.
Luti was in early stages of labor when we left for Ohio on Friday morning.  It was so hard to leave her.  I could have cried.  Ok, maybe I did a little.  My farm sitter said she had them about 3 hours later.  All went well.  Marilyn has been calling Linus, Stubborn Sally because she would just lick the teat instead of sucking.  I think she may not be quite as bright as Lucy but she does suck and appears to be healthy.  Luti has never had problems kidding and is a good mom.  Usually.

Tonight I had to question how good of a mom she is this time.   We returned home after dark this evening but I just had to see the kids so I drove down to the barn.   I couldn't believe it when I saw these darlings all by themselves.  Lucy was sleeping on the milking stanchion inside the cattle panels where the big animals can't get.  Linus was curled up in another corner.  There were no other goats or guardian dogs anywhere nearby.  They didn't even hear or see me drive up.  They must have been sleeping near the other run in shed.  Why would Luti leave her babies all alone and why would the dogs do the same, I wondered.  Finally I called them and they all ran to see me.  Darla's kids were with her.  Luti let the girls nurse and acted nonplussed when I scolded her.  It's really interesting how some mothers are super attentive and overprotective and then others, like Luti, expect the kids to be more independent.  Pessa would never leave her kids like Luti did tonight.  I have to admit Pessa can be kind of annoying the way she hovers over them for so long and won't go out to graze or let any of the other goats near her kids.  Maybe she'll be different this year.

None of the other girls are due till April so these 4 kids will get lots of cuddles.  I was also pleased to see tonight Darla's kids are doing great.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some videos of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment