Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I might be losing it

My friend, Jerry, commented on my organic spa entry, saying he thinks I need to get off the farm for awhile.  At first I thought he was probably just jealous because we didn't have pigs and mud for him to play with when he visited.  Another friend said she may have to "unfriend" me on facebook after reading it.  I'm thinking they both may be telling me what I need to hear.

Today I have to admit I probably need to get out more and I might even need a break from the farm.  My aquaponics system isn't working quite like it should because it's root-bound and not draining properly.  It's getting frustrating.  We've also been getting rain so it overflows occasionally.  This morning I had to drain a little because of last night's storm.  I put the hose in to syphon it and said, "I hope I don't forget and drain the whole thing".  Of course I forgot but at least it didn't drain completely before I noticed - maybe a foot more than it should have though.  To make matters worse, I put the hose back in to add water.  This is where I ask you to guess what happened next............

Did you guess that I forgot and overfilled it till it was running over?  I drained it again but set the timer this time and didn't wander too far.  Unfortunately, one of the garden beds was sagging and lost a bunch of water that drained onto the patio so I should have topped it off but I couldn't bring myself to go through that again.  Now it's threatening rain so hopefully it will fill it another 3 inches so I don't have to go through another Groundhog Day.  I'm not even going to explain this.

Yesterday I had bread dough rising on the dining room table.  This morning I finally remembered it was there so it is now a very heavy and dense bread that rose and fell too many times. 

As I type this I have tomatoes on the stovetop, cooking down to make sauce.  In the past I've burned the tomatoes but I'm sitting only 15 feet from them so I hope I'll remember them before I smell something burning.

Today I made reservations (at a B&B, not an asylum) in the Outer Banks for 4 nights.  I think I need it.   

9 comments:

  1. I think a little R&R will do you good. You have many irons in the fire. I honestly don't know how you do it all. Had to laugh about the bread. I finally remembered the cheese I had drying in the cellar when I went to put another round in there to dry. It had a NICE rind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see anything wrong when someone has a pig spa or occasionally forgets to turn the hose off/on.
    Actually, I think that's a sign of mega-awesomeness!
    But your get-away is cool nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James just came in carrying the mail and a car key I had left out in the rain. Shelley, I have cheese in the fridge that has now turned into one thick rind because I forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a frustrating day. Tim or I have forgotten to turn the hose off WAY too many times to admit, and been a bit too late on lots of other things as well - It's a lot to keep track of!

    The Outer Banks will be great; and I hope that you come home completely "re-farminated"!

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun, Karen! But I suspect that you might have a hard time slowing down and relaxing. Take it easy and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed catching up with you via blog...enjoy relaxing and NO spa for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I read somewhere that forgetfulness and memory loss are symptoms of....
    What was I talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you guys enjoy you much needed break at the beach. You deserve it! :)
    Em~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops...your not you.
    Em~

    ReplyDelete