Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cattle panel gates

Today the subject of cattle panels (fencing) came up on one of my goat forums.  Most everyone that uses them is a fan of them.  I mentioned that I use them for gates and thought I'd pass this along to anyone who has never used them this way.  I don't really like building gates or buying them.  They're expensive.  A cheap answer to building or buying gates is to use a cattle panel.  First I cut them to the length I need by using my grinder with the cutting wheel.  This goes very quickly.  It takes longer to put the cutting wheel on my grinder than it does to cut the panel.  Next I nail the gate to a wooden post or barn using those horseshoe shaped nails I use for nailing fencing to wooden posts.  Don't nail them in all the way so the gate swings freely.
I overlap the gate with the existing fence and use carabiners or other spring latches to hold it closed.  It doesn't get much simpler than this.

3 comments:

  1. We've got to give this a try; thanks for posting! Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just awesome and exactly what I've been trying to figure out. Thank you so very much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to incorporate a cattle panels arch into my vegetable garden. I am just afraid it would create too much shade

    for the surrounding plants. There are lots of things you can do with cattle panel if you are creative

    ReplyDelete