Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nesting

One of my buff orpington hens has gone broody. She's sitting on 11 eggs, one of them a duck egg.  I don't know if it'll hatch though because I washed it planning to eat it but then changed my mind and stuck it under her.   Eggs have a coating on them that you don't want to wash off if you want them to hatch so, we'll see.  Maybe I should give this mama a name.  I hope she sticks with it.  Chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch and duck eggs, 28, so she may kick that egg out if it doesn't hatch along with the others.  I can't wait to see little chicks following their mom around.

Here's a nest I found today in the flower bed in the front of our house.  I've never seen one on the ground before.  There's only one egg in it and I haven't seen a bird fly in or out so maybe it's been abandoned. 
 A wren has built a nest in the medicine cabinet in my barn, just behind the antiseptic.
And here's one more in the top of our propane tank.  Every year several babies are hatched in this propane tank nest.

1 comment:

  1. I think your broody hen knew you were disappointed after trying to incubate eggs and wanted to help you out.

    ReplyDelete