Monday, April 12, 2010

Another post about freecycle.org

I should go back and see how many times I've mentioned Freecycle on my blog.  It's rare I get anything or post anything on my local freecycle group but I check it every day to see what people are getting rid of or looking for.  The only things I've ever posted were herbs when we had too many to use.  Yesterday someone was looking for something that I could part with and had plenty of - rocks and flowers.  A woman posted that she and her children wanted to build a garden and needed rocks and perennials.  I emailed her back that we lived on the river and creek and if she didn't mind river rock she was welcome to get all she wanted.  She, 3 of her children (she has 5 all under 7 yrs old) and her boxer puppy came today to get the flowers.  She's going to bring her husband back another time to get the rocks.  Turns out we know her husband.  He has worked on our computer and our internet connection.  I thought she was a really nice lady until she asked me if I had any grandchildren.  I beg your pardon.  Ok, maybe I could be a grandmother but do I really look like a grandmother?!!!  I told her yes, I had 10, all in high school.  I didn't really, but I should have to see if she would be shocked.  Maybe I was afraid she'd believe me and then I'd have to send her away without rocks or flowers.  When I got past my indignation I started digging up lots of daffodils (which people here call Easter lilies), irises, day lilies and some other kind of ground cover of which I can't think of the name, while she stood, held her baby and chattered away a mile-a-minute.  I took her and her kids to see my furry little kids.  Her 3 year old twins chased them and the goats ran away.  I told them if they stood still the goats would come to them.  They did.  Afterwards they each got to get an egg out of the chicken's nests to take home with them.  I wonder if they made it home in one piece.  In the back of her truck she had 2 large baskets she had put on freecycle yesterday but the person never showed up to meet her so she gave them to me.  We can use them for gathering vegetables or eggs.   

We've made some very good friends through freecycle.  As a matter-of-fact, one couple we met is having a concert in their very nice barn in June at which James is playing the piano and maybe singing.  Their niece sings opera and is visiting so they thought they'd have a party/concert for her to perform and James will accompany her.  Should be a fun night.  They continue to freecycle to us because James goes to their house regularly to get loads of manure for our gardens.

I'm sure this will come up again since I think it's so cool.  Happy freecycling. 

2 comments:

  1. Mary Pannabecker SteinerApril 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM

    You mean you're not a grandmother? After all, you have a lot of kids. Snicker. I check freecycle constantly, but there's rarely anything I want. Or maybe I should say the things I want are never offered. I do better on craigslist, but then I have to pay for those. BTW, do you have lovage? I can't remember if I gave you some. If you want some, I'll send it with Mother and Phil. You can send me a rock. Miss you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to being a grandparent like my classmates (smile), but I'd prefer waiting until our son is older.

    ReplyDelete