Thursday, April 22, 2010

Kefir

I received my kefir grains in the mail today so now I'm going to live to 125.  A little while back I told you a stranger from the goat forum was going to mail me some kefir grains.  Well she didn't so I ordered them over the internet.  It only cost me $15.00 for my teaspoonful.  I'm told they'll eventually look like cauliflower.
The directions I received with them said rinse them in water then put them in a 1/4 cup of milk.  Leave out at room temperature.  When the milk is sour and thicker transfer them to fresh milk and keep doing this for a few days without drinking it.  "When it has a clean, sour smell and taste you can start to drink it".  What is a clean, sour smell and taste?  I understand that kefir is an acquired taste and most people make fruit smoothies with it to cover up the fermented milk taste but then after awhile you get used to it.  Heck, I'm a coffee and wine drinker,  I'll have no problem learning to like kefir.  No one likes coffee or wine the first time they taste it.  James, on the other hand, may have a harder time.  These grains should multiply again and again so when all of you see how young, healthy and vivacious I am after a few months of drinking it you'll all be begging me to share some with you. 

I've been reading a lot about kefir and its benefits.  There's so much written about it I don't know where to begin so I'll just copy and paste this:

The miraculous health grain known as kombucha, tibicos, and kifir in different parts of the world is slowly being rediscovered. Kefir-as most people know the white, grainy matrix of lipids, yeast, and bacteria- is the secret key to good health. The kefir health benefits include not only taking care of your insides but also your body's external parts.
Known to have originated from the Caucasus region, people have believed that "possessing" kefir grains are a sign of wealth. People during those times must have taken the saying "health is wealth" to heart because they guard their supply of kefir grains with their lives. And because you only need a batch of kefir grains to last you a lifetime, there is no need to replenish your supply as fermented kefir grains keep on reproducing.
The word "kefir" is the most appropriate word to describe the miracle grain. Originating from the Turkish word kief-which means good feeling, the kefir health benefits will surely make you feel good inside and out. Kefir naturally has antibiotic and antifungal properties that treat familiar as well as rare diseases. It is unimaginable that something so simple-looking could be a weapon against sickness. From head to foot, not even sparing your brain from its benefits, kefir truly is the miracle cure.
Despite these properties, taking kefir has no side effects. Because of the active good bacteria and beneficial yeast, they can quickly destroy the destructive elements by quickly propagating. It also strengthens one's immune system and is a natural strength-booster so there's no need for you too spend too much on health supplements and energy drinks.
Most of the kefir health benefits could be credited to the mixture of calcium found from milk. The nutrients from the milk heighten the already strong effects of kefir itself. Drinking milk kefir nourishes your hair, treats gum diseases and strengthens your bones. Kefir prevents bone diseases such as osteoporosis. So if you're worried about your crackling bones, make sure to try this wonder food and see the difference in a week's span.
Kefir health benefits include taking care of your skin. Including kefir in your diet prevents acne, psoriasis and even wrinkles. Being a natural anti-oxidant, kefir keeps you young-looking and makes your skin glow with health.
Nothing spells beautiful more than being healthy and natural-looking. Just by taking your daily dose of kefir, you are keeping yourself away from those useless skin products that can sometimes damage your skin more.
Another one of the kefir health benefits is its brain-enhancement capability. As natural brain-food, kefir helps you break free from stress. While pumping up your brain, kefir also develops the usual functions of your brain such as reflexes, memory-retention and even your focus. This benefit works hand in hand with the five senses and leads you to be at your best. Kefir also helps cure depression, anxiety, and even the attention-related disorders. So if you want your mind to be in its optimal capability, drink your kefir daily.
If you're worrying about your digestion and metabolism, there's no need to worry. One of the kefir health benefits includes improving your digestion. If you're constipated, regular intake of kefir cleanses your intestines and your stomach normalizing your bowel movements.
To weight-loss seekers, having kefir as part of your diet could make you shave unwanted weight faster. Because kefir has probiotics, it speeds up the your body's metabolism letting your body burn more fats and calories even if you're only spending your normal workout time. No more need to take dangerous weight-loss pills that could cause harmful side-effects. Just take kefir and in no time, your body will surely be fab!
To those who are worried about their heart's health, kefir is also the solution. Kefir clears your blood vessels and regulates your blood pressure. When you drink kefir, you are not only equipping your immune system but also keeping your heart healthy.
Your lungs are not spared from the kefir health benefits. Taking kefir daily prevents respiratory diseases from the most common up to the complicated ones like tuberculosis. It also helps treat asthma and bronchitis.
If you are one of those people who have a busy lifestyle, these kefir health benefits are for you. Kefir is a natural stress-buster. Having cold a cold milk kefir or water kefir drink not only refreshes you but also detoxifies your body. Its natural properties are even better than the benefits boasted by certain kinds of teas. If you are an insomniac, you should also take kefir to assure you of a good night's rest free of worries and anxiety. Enjoying your cold, soothing kefir is the key for your body to be at peace.
Kefir is considered to be the mysterious key to one's good health. Kefir health benefits provide holistic defense for the body. In these modern times, most of us lead busy and stressful lives. There are many ways to live healthy but some are offering complicated ways to stay that way. However, with the simplicity of kefir, the only thing needed is to culture the grains and take it regularly like how you drink your milk or your coffee. It's that simple. No need for measuring your food or taking mysterious "organic" medicines. Rediscovering this age-old secret helps us adapt to our current lifestyles while assuring us and our loved ones of wellbeing.

I'm watching and waiting for them to grow so I can look and feel fabulous.

7 comments:

  1. I can't testify as to how you feel, I can only image, soft...but I will say the last time I photographed you, you looked fabulous. I think I can find that series and post them for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, things have rearranged themselves in the 18 or 19 years since those pictures were taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry said you got a tablespoon of sperm in the mail and you put it on your blog. I should have known better! Let me know how it works, though I don't think you need it.

    Kathy T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered some kefir this morning and it is already on its way. The woman sounded a little like you--lots of goats, except she was a little odd. Doesn't do banks so I have to send money in the mail. But that's O.K. Twenty bucks to look fabulous. Can't wait. It will be fun to grow something in my kitchen and share with my friends. Now if I just had enough sun on my back porch for tomatoes I'd be in heaven. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, tell Jerry a 47 year old woman who can't have more children has no use for sperm she got in the mail.

    Gail, It'll be fun to compare notes once we're both able to start drinking it. Mine is growing but I'm going to wait a little longer to try it. Hopefully next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Pannabecker SteinerApril 24, 2010 at 7:24 PM

    I was introduced to kefir when I worked at The Food Store. Sorry to say, my taste buds never cared for it. And while I know people who swear by it, I wouldn't say they look any younger or better than me. You, of course, will always look younger than me...with or without the kefir.

    ReplyDelete