Sunday, April 25, 2010

Curds and whey in a big way

Today I bought a 22 quart stainless steel pot so I could make more cheese at once.  It's not a double boiler so I put it inside a canning pot with the jar rack in the bottom.  My other pot would only hold 2 gallons so my cheese wheels were pretty small.  I decided to try using 3 1/2 gallons to make the Traditional Cheddar recipe from Ricki Carroll's Home Cheese Making cook book, page 108.  I made the adjustments to the recipe to account for the extra milk.  We've been sampling cheese lately and this has been our favorite after aging 4 months.  I hope this one comes out as tasty.  I'll see how this fits in my cheese press and if there's still more room next time I'll try 5 gallons of milk.  I have learned that the milk from my nigerian dwarf goats yielded more cheese than the milk from the big goats. 
It's hard to believe Little Miss Muffet liked to eat this.  It's not very flavorful at this stage.

1 comment: