Monday, May 31, 2010

Could have been a disaster

Some days it's hard to get stuff done around here.  I finally drug myself out to dig fencepost holes.  I barely started 3 holes when I got interrupted by these funny little creatures.

Everywhere I walk there's at least one of them following me around.  http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af317/kpannabecker/?action=view&current=MVI_3557.flv
I had to watch out that I didn't hit one of them with my post hole digger because they wanted to check out the hole or take a dust bath in my dirt piles.  http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af317/kpannabecker/?action=view&current=MVI_3559.flv   And if it wasn't the turkeys trying to help it was the goats.  http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af317/kpannabecker/?action=view&current=MVI_3560.flv
I took a break to go inside and get a drink and couldn't believe what I found.  All the time I was outside the dogs were inside.  Now you all recall what happened a few days ago with Rosie and my duck.  When I walked into my kitchen this is what I found.
Yogi had gotten out of his cage and from the the trail of poop left around the house, it appeared he had taken quite a tour before ending up on this chair.  I can only imagine Rosie and Lex following him around saying, "oh, we better not dare".  I had left the door open where I put his food bowl and that's where he found an escape.  Yogi has been part of our family for 14 years, 5 years before Rosie and Lex appeared on the scene.   I'd like to think they know he's family and wouldn't hurt him.  Of course I would never leave him out alone with the dogs on purpose but I sure am glad this had a happy ending.  Whew!  My animals sure keep me on my toes.

2 comments:

  1. When I read your blog I realize that nothing on Providence Farm is original and unique. I too have been digging, and almost decapitated a chicken. A red hen whose name escapes me stuck her head in just as I started my dig. I cut her comb, but didn't do serious damage.
    And I thought I was the only one in the world who had poultry as carpenter's helpers.
    Tell Adam we hope he recovers quickly. I hope you make him some fresh goat's milk ice cream.
    And I can't wait to see Polly's new kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that funny? Another friend of mine blogged about something that I also could have written. I'm glad your chicken is ok.
    We have goat's milk ice cream but it was made 2 days ago so it's not "fresh".

    ReplyDelete