Friday, May 29, 2009


I posted another video on my blog today so you can see what it was the 3 of us did the past 2 days. I'm fencing in another 2 to 3 acres of pasture for the goats and chickens to graze in. There was already fencing on 2 sides of the field. Some of it needed to be repaired where posts had broken and fence had sagged or broken. We had another 36 posts to put in before we could put the fence up. Remember Adam was digging holes for me a week or 2 ago. That was taking too long for me and I decided I wanted them deeper because I bought 8 feet long posts instead of the 6 1/2 feet long ones. The 8 feet ones were on sale at Lowes and we can add wire on top if we ever need to. I decided to rent an auger from our local rental place, Green Valley rental. The owner, Dave, is a real character and I really like him. He wears long shorts with tall socks but is always so nice and remembers my name and what I've done, like building a pizza oven. He gives us discounts most of the time. He's even loaned us a book on tape he thought we'd like. Good guy.

So, about the holes. Adam and I picked up the auger, 36 posts, fencing and some concrete and headed back home to experience what Adam says, "was the hardest work he's ever done in his life". I'll have to agree it came pretty close for me too. I think it's right up there with giving birth. The 3 of us are very tired, sore and a little bruised here and there. It was soooo much fun. Seriously. I can't think of anything the 3 of us have done together in a long time that was as much fun. When we first started we had no idea what we were doing. It was just Adam and me. We let the auger go down too deep without bringing it out to remove the dirt. It got stuck in the ground and probably took at least 45 minutes to get it back out. I think that's why I couldn't sleep last night because of my aching back. Once we got the hang of it it moved along much better. It was really hard to start back this morning because I was so sore and weak from yesterday. James joined us and that made things go much faster. He and Adam did most of the augering while I used the post hole digger and tamper to get more dirt out.

I got the gate posts concreted in now and tomorrow I'll finish digging and putting the other posts in. I can't wait.

We worked so well as a team and all 3 of us were in good moods (always a good thing). We only heard a little cursing early on today and I won't comment on who's mouth it came out of. After the fence is up, which I'll probably do alone, we'll begin the barn. I'm hoping that's another project the 3 of us can do together. It'll be a breeze after digging holes. I think it'll be even more fun.

Enough bloggering about my augering.

As Tigger would say, "TTFN"

No comments:

Post a Comment