Monday, September 26, 2011

Putting animals to bed

I've stopped milking the goats at night because their milk has dropped off to about half what they give at their peak.  So now my nighttime routine is a little more relaxed.  I really like this time with them.  Everyone is calm and wants to be cuddled.  It's much more peaceful than mornings when I'm feeding and milking.  The donkeys are especially affectionate.  I like to sing to them when I'm saying goodnight.  Tonight they were very cuddly as I sang, "they'll be riding 6 grey donkeys when she comes.  They'll be riding 6 grey donkeys when she comes".

I can't remember what I was singing to Foggy, my rooster, as I held him, but whatever it was he let me play with his waddles and comb as I sang to him.  He didn't complain so I think he liked it.  I sang the same to Annette, the hen, who also stayed very still as I rattled on whatever diddy it was that came to mind.

Of course Darla was serenaded with, "oh my Darla, oh my Darla, oh my Darla (and whatever I made up after that)".  My songs are rather silly but the animals don't seem to notice.

Since having electricity installed in the barn I have been loving playing CDs in the morning while I milk but I'm pretty sure the animals like my singing at night the best.

When Adam was a toddler James used to sing to him when he put him to bed.  When he was done Adam would want him to keep singing.  Once when I sang to him he said, "don't sing Mommy".   I might try singing to James tonight when we go to bed.  He's probably too kind to say, "don't sing Karen", but I'm pretty sure I won't get the same response from him I get from the animals.

This is one of my favorites to sing to whoever will listen to me sing at night.  From The Music Man.

Goodnight, my someone,

Goodnight, my love,

Sleep tight, my someone,

Sleep tight, my love,

Our star is shining it's brightest light

For goodnight, my love, for goodnight.

Sweet dreams be yours, dear,

If dreams there be

Sweet dreams to carry you close to me.

I wish they may and I wish they might

Now goodnight, my someone, goodnight











1 comment: