Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Letter to the editor

I've never been inclined to write a letter to my senator or congressman let alone the editor of our local newspaper.  My husband, however, does this a few times a year.  I think he would do it more often if I didn't once say, "remember we share the same last name", meaning, my name and our son's is also associated with his letters and people will assume we feel the same way (which I usually do but don't really like to express because I'm a terrible debater when challenged).  James usually asks me to read his letters to the editor of our newspaper to get my approval before mailing, which is very thoughtful, and I asked him to do so.  I have a friend who writes letters to the editor much more often than James.  She doesn't care if people disagree or not.  When she feels strongly about something she states her case.  That's so not me.  Is this a type A personality thing or maybe just a thing people who feel more confident about their convictions do?  I hate to admit it but I'm a people pleaser which means I'm wishy washy and like to avoid conflict.

I'm kind of getting off subject here.  The reason I brought this up is because today James told me his letter to Time Magazine Inbox was published.  See  http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1971440,00.html    Some of us have opinions and take action.  The rest of us read their opinions or just blog about them.  I thought it was pretty cool his letter was published in Time Magazine since they only publish about 10 a week. 

1 comment:

  1. Mary Pannabecker SteinerMarch 16, 2010 at 10:38 PM

    We were all agog over this tonight. Pretty cool! Can't you just imagine Dad's grin?

    ReplyDelete