Friday, March 26, 2010

Everything in excess

It was pretty cool here today.  Even though the thermometer read 51 degrees it felt colder than that so I made soup for dinner tonight.  I didn't just make soup because I was chilly.  I made it because I also need to use up some of our canned vegetables.  Here are some pictures of our cupboards with last year's canned goods, along with some dating back to 2007. 

I should mention we also have a chest freezer that's half full.  Remember yesterday I told you James started his 11th garden?  One of these gardens is about 100' X 100'.   Nothing excessive there.  We may be eating lots of soup for the next month or two.

I can't really pick on James too much because I'm no better.  When I make soup I make enough for 10 people, not just 2.  The soup was made with leftover whey from the cottage cheese I made a few days ago and I had to use it all.



I had plans to build the turkey barn 8 feet by 16 feet, half the size of the goat's barn.  Once I started digging holes I figured well, now that I'm started what difference would it make to dig a few more holes and make it twice that size?  I think these 20 turkeys will be pretty comfortable.

This afternoon I decided to make chocolate chip cookies.  It was drizzly out.  What else was there to do?  I had a 24 oz bag of chocolate chips.  The recipe on the bag was for 12 oz of the chips.  Again, if you're going to do something, why not do it right?  When I asked James if I should double the recipe he said, "we could always put them in the downstair's freezer".  We both laughed because we know we'd just go get them out of the freezer anyway.  We love frozen chocolate chip cookies.



Tomorrow I'll begin milking Luti and Pessa, my 2 big goats.  They both have large udders.  Milking all 5 goats once a day I'm sure we'll be getting more than a gallon of milk a day.  What will we do with a gallon to a gallon and a half of milk a day?  Make cheese, butter, yogurt and ........I don't know, but it's fun to have more than we need.

Speaking of more than we need.  Today our chickens laid 10 eggs.

4 comments:

  1. I think you should adopt 10 kids. You have enough food and they could help with all the work and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say 10 kids would be excessive to the max. Unless you meant goat kids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. next time you have 24 oz choc chips and the recipe calls for 12 oz, you could always make a single recipe with 24 oz of cc. extra dark chocolate is always good. pfp
    or, in Roanoke you could find a homeless shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should just adopt me.
    Or invite me over for milk and cookies. And eggs and canned goods and soup...
    Speaking of James' gardening, my daughters often tell the story of learning how to do surgery on a squash plant. He had a captive audience with that information!

    ReplyDelete