Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The pigs experience Baxter

No babies yet so you'll have to read more dog chatter.

I was just remembering today how things were when we got Keri almost 3 years ago.  Many of my blog posts were about her and her antics.  I should go back and read them so see if there are any similarities between her and Baxter, or at least what we were up against.

I mentioned last post that Baxter is fascinated with our pigs who live across the road.  This afternoon I was doing some outdoor spring cleaning and feeling productive when I was interrupted.  I heard a distant bark that sounded very familiar.  Is that????  Yeah, that's what I thought.  Baxter had somehow found yet another space to squeeze through around a gate, crossed the road, went through some barbed wired and then ducked under a tight space to be in with the pigs.  This couldn't have taken him more than a few minutes because he was just by my side.  The pigs were totally unimpressed with him - "seriously? you think we can be bothered?"  they seemed to say.  Wendell and Mickey (spotted pigs) cracked me up the way they kept on resting while Baxter barked.
)

I'm pretty certain Mickey is pregnant.  She's super lazy, getting rounder and I haven't seen her come back into heat for months now.  I'm watching her closely and getting excited.  I have a few predicted due dates but I'm not going to count my piglets before they hatch.

I wish some of my goats would hatch a baby or two.  I'm betting between Respa and Darla, whose due dates are a day apart.  Pessa is also due then but she doesn't look anywhere near ready.  Darla's udder is more developed than Respa's and I can't wait to see what kind of milk this tiny little knee-hi goat produces.  Her mom, Luti, is my biggest producer.  This is the time of year when I become obsessed with udders.  Weird, I know.  Goat and cow people will understand this.
Tomorrow is supposed to be cold so I'm sure one of the goats will have babies.  That's the way it goes. To bring some Spring into our house to get us through our last, yes LAST, cold day (I'm trying to be positive here), I picked a bouquet of daffodils.  Don't they make you happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment