Thursday, March 13, 2014

Jiminy Cricket

I was pretty sure when I went out to feed this morning that Darla was going to give us some kids today.  After breakfast she found a stall and holed up in it for a few hours.  She made it all look easy.  Aside from her constant  baa-ing and softened ligaments around her tail, you couldn't really guess she was having them today.  There was no mucous until her water broke and it didn't appear that her babies had dropped into position.  After her water broke it was just minutes, she hollered just a little and then very easily pushed (I know, that's easy for me to say) a little boy then girl into the world.  The little boy has ears like Darla.
And the little girl has tiny lamancha ears like her daddy, Jimmy.  Her coloring is very much like her granddaddy, Witty.  I love her feminine face.
I named the boy Jiminy (mini Jimmy) and the girl Cricket.

It was very cold and windy today and I was glad to see them finally dried off and no longer shivering.  I held them in my lap for about an hour while they took a nap in the sunshine.  Someone had to do it.
Aren't these faces adorable?  They look like they're smiling.
More to come in the next few days.  Long eared goats next time.

6 comments:

  1. They are beautiful. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. They are adorable. Tough job holding baby goats but you're right, someone's gotta do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for Darla! She's a good mom. They are beautiful. Never thought I'd say that about an earless one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you do with your bucklings, kpannabecker? Do you wether them and sell them or do you sell them as bucks for breeding?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you'd come around, Susan. Thanks everyone. They're very lively and even more adorable today.
    @Laura, We usually wether the boys. If we don't sell them we raise them for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete