Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pessa's kids

Yesterday we had our last kidding for the season.  Pessa is a pro at it since this is her 3rd time.  All went as smooth as I could hope for.  Because they're much different in color than any of our other babies, James named the girl and boy, Harlie and Quincy. Harlie is the red one, looking much like Pessa.
Quincy is kind of a dusty tan and white.
I'm kind of glad kidding is over and we can get into a routine.  We've been milking for a little over a week and James still has to help hold some of them while they fight me on the milking stand.  There has been improvement but we have a ways to go till I can call it a comfortable routine.  At least now I recognize things will improve.  Two years ago I thought they'd never learn to stand still but they all do eventually.

We ended up with 6 chicks from the 24 eggs we had in the incubator.  Today I put in a new batch.  We'll see if I can do better.  I have the temperature just a bit higher and will keep a closer eye on the water for humidity.

1 comment:

  1. They are so cute! Just adorable. I know you're happy kidding season is over thought. Still.... those babies are CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!! Wishing you luck on the next clutch you put in the incubator.

    ReplyDelete