Monday, August 10, 2009

Aging, August 10, 2009



I looked at the picture of me with my first egg and I groaned. Really? Is that what I look like? A friend and I were talking the other day about how we can tell ourselves that pictures are just a short snap of time that may be a true picture or not. If you have DVR or TIVO on your TV you'll know what we mean. If you hit pause to freeze the picture it is almost always an unflattering image of the actor or actress. Ok, sometimes we actually smile and pose for photos so there's no excuse but I'd rather tell myself I don't look as old or unattractive as my picture says I am. I just now took a picture of myself that I'll admit looks like what I see in the mirror, like it or not. I'm posting it here with the date so if I'm still keeping this blog in 5 years or 10 I can compare myself to a new photo I'll take then.

I do the whole Facebook thing and have gotten in touch with old friends from my youth, along with cousins that I haven't seen since I was a teenager. I see their pictures and realize they must be as shocked by mine as I am of theirs. How did my friends turn into these middle aged faces? It hasn't been that long, has it? I actually enjoy it, aging, to some extent. Not the sagging body, gray hairs, stray hairs and wrinkles, but the contentment, self assuredness (if that's a word), security and freedom that comes with being in my 40's. I may look in the mirror less but I still feel pretty darn good. It'll be fun to see if I'm still writing the same thing in 10 years. Hope so.

I published this post and looked at it thinking, I could have at least washed my face and put some makeup on but then that wouldn't be painting a true picture of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment