Thursday, January 17, 2013

The cook, the nourisher, the whiner

Here's another posting I found in my draft folder.  I wonder if I was in a bad mood the day I wrote this.  I think it was written over a year ago since I haven't been in a bad mood since then.   snort

I don't know if this is a woman thing or just a Karen thing.  I like to cook for my family (most of the time).  James has always been the family provider financially so I feel like I'm supposed to provide the nourishment.  I take pride in my cooking (again, most of the time).  Today I realized I'm expecting too much from the rest of my family when it comes to showing appreciation for my attempt at pleasing their palettes.  Afterall, I don't say to James every day, "wow, good job at earning a living so we can pay our mortgage".  Or, "you're so awesome working all day long when you could be out playing like I am".  I should add here that James and Adam rarely (maybe never) get up from the table without saying, "thanks for dinner". 

What I'm referring to is how when I yell up the stairs, "time to eat", and they don't jump right up, I think, what? you want MY dinner to get cold?  If I've thought early in the day about what I'm going to cook I might get offended if Adam tells me at the last minute he's not going to be here for dinner.  Didn't he KNOW I left out 3 pork chops, not just 2?  Harumph!

When I was a teenager my boyfriend's mother would get irritated if anyone asked what's for dinner.  She also got pissed off if they put their grubby fingers in the food while she was cooking.  I never knew what the big deal was......until now.  I also hate when I say, "are you going to be here for dinner?" and the response that follows is, "what are we having?"  or "I don't know, what time are we eating?"

It's also not all that unusual for me to leave out 3 pork chops and Adam asks 15 minutes before dinner if 4 other people can eat here.  I have to admit I'd prefer this scenario to no one showing up.  That seems a little odd, doesn't it? 

That's where I quit writing.  Maybe I didn't know how to wrap it up.  I'll see if I can do that now.  Since Adam doesn't live here most of the time I probably don't feel this way very often.  I rarely get dinner on the table before 6:30 or 7:00 so James is hungry by then and it doesn't take long for him to show up.   Also, he never asks what's for dinner, or invites friends without asking me, or decides at the last minute he's not eating here.  One day I'll probably miss these things and think, if only someone would ask what's for dinner.  Or maybe I'll wish more folks showed up with big appetites at the last minute. 

Perhaps I should save this again as a draft and see how I feel in another couple years. 

Time to eat!

PS.  James, thank you for earning a living so I can put food on our table. 




 

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome. Thanks for cooking. What's for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the giggle. Just this evening I had soup and bread on the table and Don was riveted to the computer (an unusual occurance for him) and oblivious to my dinner calls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a cook but wish I was ok to be honest no I don't wish I was a cook I wish someone would cook for me. Stouffers, Sara Lee, and several other ladies visit my house around supper time! So it would be hard for me to eat my animals because I can't cook them. I market so I could sell the meat! Sonya Whispering Hope Farm

    ReplyDelete