Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cheese - It's what's for breakfast

Every month I get a cheese newsletter from the company I buy some of my cheese making supplies from, New England Cheesemaking Supply.  Reading it always makes me want to make cheese.  It also makes me hungry.  Since all our girls are dried up now I don't have milk to make cheese so this morning I just had to eat it instead of make it. 

I've been experimenting with cheesemaking for 3 or 4 years and just when I think I understand what makes a good cheese, I take one out of the cheese cave (wine refrigerator) and I don't like it.  The biggest problem I've had is some cheeses have an acidic taste.  I don't really know how to describe it.  I've fed many of these cheeses to the dogs and pigs.  They like them just fine.  Cheese connoisseurs they're not.

I'd been sealing my cheeses with my Food Saver and that helped prevent unwanted molds but occasionally one of the cheeses would be wet and those were the ones that had this acidic taste.  I think I need to let them air dry longer before sealing.  My last 2 cheeses, a gruyere and a monterey jack, were left unwrapped in the cave.  I couldn't wait to see how they tasted.  This morning I cut into the monterey jack, which is only 2 months old but it looked very dry and had a pinkish hue to the rind.  Hold on one moment while I pat myself on the back...........................
It's really good.  I like that it has a more developed rind than the ones that are in sealed plastic.  There's more flavor than some of my cheeses that were wrapped and much older.  I won't cut the gruyere until this one is gone but I hope it's just as good or better.  I'm sure I don't have it figured out yet but I'm going to keep trying.  I can't wait till kidding season and we have our own goat milk again.  Luckily we have plenty of cheese to get us through the winter. 

Cheese and crackers were a good breakfast but maybe I shouldn't have eaten so much in one sitting. 



 

5 comments:

  1. So you should let your cheese go naked, it seems. Let it breathe. Good advice for all living things, and cheese is alive, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cheese looks so beautiful that it wouldn't matter if it didn't taste good.

    But I am glad it did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mentioning out loud at work that perhaps wanting to make my own cheese would convince my husband that I need goats made my co-worker Jane launch into a diatribe against billy goats.
    For my own edification, if you could some day write about billy goats - are they as bad as Jane says?? do they stink like my mother claims they do? (city girl that she is, I don't know how she knows this) - I would be very appreciative.
    Goats look lovely and I love author Jon Katz's stories about his (he calls them his peanut gallery).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin great, Karen! I'm jealous, again. Can't wait to try my hand at some goat's milk cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this site for cheese-making info. She ages her cheeses three different ways.

    http://thepromiselandfarm.org/

    ReplyDelete