Wednesday, June 20, 2012

ReEntry

James and I went away for 4 days.  It was a great trip and all was well taken care of at the farm so I had no worries.  As much as I enjoyed our time away, it was great to come home.  So why do I have a hard time getting back in the swing of things?   Does everyone/anyone else feel this way after a trip?

I was informed folks were tired of looking at peas on my blog.   I even had a hard time getting back to blogging.  I just didn't have anything to write about or maybe nothing seemed interesting to me.  I don't really know what it was. 

I'm happy to see the animals and the animal "chores" aren't that big of a deal now that I have a milking machine.  Yes, I broke down and finally bought a used one.  It's great.  I love it and I'm pretty sure our farm sitter appreciated it too.  Yesterday James and I moved all the boy goats over to the field so now I need to milk at night too.  The machine will really save my hands.  We got about 3 gallons of milk today.  Tomorrow has to be a cheese making day.

Roxie (the pig) is due in 2 weeks.  I'm looking forward to piglets.  I hope all goes well since I know very little about raising tiny ones.  I'm counting on Roxie to know just what to do when the time comes.   I wonder what sow milk tastes like.  I may have to steal a little.

The turkeys are growing fast and are having a harder and harder time getting through the fence but yesterday a woman stopped to tell me she threw one back over our fence that was out by the road.  I thanked her and gave her a bottle of goat's milk lotion.  I hope they don't fly over the fence once they're too big to walk through it.  While we were gone the turkey with the bad leg disappeared.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I felt bad for the little guy. 

July looks like a busy month for us with lots of company.  Summer has begun.  Tomorrow I hope to be back in the groove. 

5 comments:

  1. You're just experiencing 'vacation lag'. Everything will be fine soon. Run around barefoot and play with Roxie. You'll find lots to write about. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through the same thing. It doesn't help when its 95 outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home! It's nice to have a farm sitter that you can trust. Take more trips if you can; I think breaks are definitely necessary. (I am dreaming of taking a trip to New Orleans these days... or the beach would be nice too!) Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was starting to wonder if you vanished. I kept noticing that there was no change on the Peas. Glad you had a little get away! I can't wait to see your milking machine sometime. Maybe we can come up for a short visit after the piglets are born. I miss you!!
    Em~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peas are almost in season. My sister had Christmas up for I can't remember how long. Glad you are back safely. It is going to get cooler now.

    ReplyDelete