Monday, April 16, 2012

Happy birthday, puppies

We called Rosie and Lex "the puppies" for at least the first 8 years of their lives.  Today the puppies are 11 years old.  That's pretty old for boxers.  Our last boxer died from cancer at 9.  Lately we've been worried about Rosie because she's had old dog issues which I'm sure she'd rather I not talk about so I won't embarrass her.  The past few days she's seemed just fine and tears about like she always did.  Yes, the puppies sleep more and have aging bodies, but for the most part they're pretty happy, energetic dogs who have brought a lot of joy to our lives. 


We have lots of April birthdays at our house.  First was Yogi, our parrot. He's 15 this year and just as silly as always.  His vocabulary continues to grow.  I'm sure he's up to hundreds of words and sounds by now.

Next was James.  He turned 59 on the 9th.  I took this picture when he came back today after running 9   miles.  He looks EXACTLY like he did when I met him at 34, but then I'm 49 so my memory may not be as good as it used to be.   If he has changed it's only for the better.

 Then Rosie and Lex, followed by Keri on the 24th.

When we got an outside dog I thought I'd worry about leaving her outside in the winter.  That wasn't the case at all.  She was happy to be outside this winter, rolling in the little snow we got and looking very happy.  I worry more about her feeling uncomfortable in this heat.  Her coat is so thick and she hasn't started shedding yet.  Last week someone asked if she was an old dog because she moves so slowly.  I told them she was just hot.  It's so tempting to shave her but I've read you're not supposed to. 

I think we have a goat or 2 who were born in April also but I have no pictures of them to add.  

Happy birthday to all my furry friends and James.  My life is so full because of all of you.                                                                                                                      



1 comment: