Saturday, April 30, 2011

It's a small world afterall

Today in the mail I received a new yodeling CD.  I love it.  One of the songs on it is It's a Small World, sung by a 10 year old girl.  She did such a great job and gave me hope that one day I can yodel as well as she.  I've liked that song since I was a child.

How many times in my life, though, have I said those words, "it sure is a small world?"  Many times.  Tonight was one of those nights.  Our son and his friends had dinner with us, most of whom have eaten here several times.  I don't know how it came about but, James asked if one of the girl's dad's name was Owen Young.  You see, when we lived in Salisbury, NC we were friends of the Salisbury Symphony.  Occasionally a guest musician would play with the symphony and would need a place to stay for a night or 2.  We hosted 3 of those musicians, a clarinetist, a pianist and a cellist.  The cellist's name was Owen Young.  He played with the Boston Symphony and he was one of our favorites because he had a great sense of humor.  We also spent quite a bit of time visiting with him.  The young lady told James Owen was not her father but her uncle.  No way!  That's usually what you say under those, It's-a-small-world circumstances.  It never gets old does it?  Why are we surprised when these coincidences happen, when it seems to happen so often? 

Owen Young's neice texted him that she was with us.   I wonder if he'll remember staying in our home.   I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.  Afterall, the world is a pretty big place.

No comments:

Post a Comment