Saturday, June 6, 2009

Habitat For Humantiy

I've changed my tune since my post of a few days ago labled Whine Festival. Last night James and I went to a dinner to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of our area Habitat For Humanity. We knew just a small handful of people there. We sat at a table with a nice older couple and found lots to talk about. Somehow we got on the subject of Italy. I forget how it came up. We told them we were there last September. They had been there just four months earlier. They asked where we stayed and we told them one of our favorite places was this small midieval village called Scanno. Wouldn't you know it, that's where his father grew up and that's where they went too. What are the chances you go to a function of maybe 75 people and have that in common? This village is pretty far from the big cities and touristy places and up a windy 1 1/2 lane road on the top of a mountain. It's not even in the vacation guidebooks that we bought. I thought that was pretty great.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with why I changed my tune about giving to people and them not appreciating it. The director of Habitat thanked everyone for coming and for whatever support they've given to the organization. He invited some of the recipients of Habitat homes up to the front and asked if they wanted to say anything. Four of them did. These people were so thankful, couldn't say enough about how they appreciated all Habitat has done for them and how when they wake up in the morning or put their key in their front door every day they feel so blessed. One or 2 of them even had tears in their eyes. Talk about making you feel good.....

I came home feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment