Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Painting on mylar

I went to a studio tour in Lynchburg this weekend. My favorite of all the artists there painted on mylar. I'd heard of this before, but have never seen it in person. His paintings were incredible. It really wasn't the mylar that made his work so beautiful. It was his talent. Anyway, I wanted to try painting on mylar too and since there was an art store below these studios, I bought 2 large sheets.
I had no idea what I was going to do with them and came home and Googled painting on mylar, and
how to mount a mylar painting. 

I decided to mount the mylar on hardboard before I painted on it. Someone suggested using Loctite.
I'd never used it but found a can of Loctite Spray Adhesive at Lowes and decided to give it a try. It comes out in a stringy spray, like very thin Silly String. I carefully placed the mylar on top and used a
brayer to smooth and flatten it on the board. I should mention, I sanded the board first and didn't put any primer on it. The mylar was kind of frosted, not totally clear.

This is what it looked like after I mounted it to the board. I really liked this look.

I wondered if I'd like painting on something so slick. It was nothing like I expected. I put the paint on fairly thinly and it dried pretty quickly for oil paint. Here's the result of my first attempt. I let much of the background show through.


No comments:

Post a Comment