Monday, December 9, 2013

A raccoon, Keri and a 2x4

Keri had a hard day today.  When I went out to feed her and the goats this morning Keri started barking at something under their trailer.  A raccoon had been hiding under it and the 2 of them were playing chase around and about the trailer.  The goats, chickens and I all watched and waited for Keri to kill it.  The raccoon wouldn't back down.  I've never seen the goats shiver like they were.  I'm convinced the raccoon was rabid.  Keri is up to date on her rabies shot but my goats haven't been vaccinated. 

I checked Keri's neck to be sure the raccoon hadn't broken her skin.  He hadn't.  It's good she has such thick fur.  It definitely gave her a scare though.   The raccoon went back under the trailer and Keri decided to leave it alone for a while.  I had to feed pigs and milk Raisa so I left too.  I assumed the raccoon would leave after being harrassed by a huge dog.  I went back 3 or 4 hours later and it was still there.  When I entered the field Keri decided to protect us again and coaxed him out from under the trailer.  She charged and retreated but wouldn't bite it.  Once bitten, twice shy, I'm sure. 

I called my neighbor and asked if he'd come over and shoot it but before he had a chance to come over the raccoon began going after the goats, which sent Keri over the top and me too.  I grabbed a nearby 2x4 and like a crazy woman went after it.  Unfortunately Keri charged it at the same time and got hit in the head by my 2x4.  This is why I probably shouldn't own a gun.  She ran off and I had a clear shot at the raccoon.  I missed and it came after me but I didn't miss the second time.  I hit it at least 10 times before it died.  I went to Keri to apologize and check her out.  She was fine but ducked her head when I went to pet her.  I spent at least another hour petting Keri and the goats until my blood pressure returned to normal. 


 

6 comments:

  1. The raccoons are crazy this year. I don't trust them one inch. Glad we are down one probably rabid critter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't trust them anymore either, Laura. I used to think they were cute. This one's been hanging out for a few weeks but I'd never seen it inside the fence. I'm so glad it didn't hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...had the same problem today but with a very suspicious and not too shy possum. Not as vicious as a raccoon, but about the same size as our dogs, and it wasn't going away. I shooed it away a couple of times, but it kept returning inside the fence, so....not having a 2 X 4 handy, a couple of 12 gauge shots did the trick - oh, and I missed our dogs, whew...just call me Sure Shot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Racoons are not to be taken lightly. They can do in animals much bigger than they are. If they get under them they can rip up their bellies pretty quickly. I don't wish badly on any of our creatures but a dead raccoon gives me no pause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's weird, Sure Shot, that you had to deal with a possum today. I'm glad you didn't shoot your sweet dogs.

    I now know that, Jerry. I've never really experienced a mean raccoon. I will be suspicious of them from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go with a 2x4, Karen! Keri's a good girl. We havent seen any racoons thisd year but lotsa possums, none this bold though. Phyllis

    ReplyDelete