Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Chocolate goat milk ice cream sandwiches

It's been raining here for several days but yesterday it just didn't let up so I found something I could do inside.

When I was grocery shopping this week I saw ice cream sandwiches in the freezer aisle and remembered how much I like them.  Somehow they came up again in a conversation with a friend so I decided I should make some on a rainy day.

First made the cookie dough.
  • 1 1/2 sticks or 6 ounces of butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup sifted dark cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • With a mixer beat the butter and sugar till fluffy.
    Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
    Next add cocoa, mix some more and then finally mix in the flour.
    Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or wax paper and chill for a few hours.

    When firm roll out onto a surface dusted with flour and cocoa powder.  This was the hardest part for me.  I don't think I let it chill long enough.  It kept sticking to the table and my rolling pin.  Roll to 1/8 inch thick then cut to the size you like with a pizza cutter.  Place on greased cookie sheets.  Mine were very messy because they stuck to the spatula.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.


    Next I made the ice cream.
    3 cups goat’s milk
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    3.5 oz good quality dark chocolate, chopped. 
    5 egg yolks
    3/4 cup sugar (split, 1/4 c. and 1/2 c.)
    2 tsp. vanilla
    In a saucepan, mix the milk, cream, 1/4 cup sugar and chocolate and bring to a simmer.
    In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the 1/2 cup sugar.
    Remove a cup of the milk mixture and whisk it into the yolk mixture.  Add another cup and whisk some more then pour this back into the saucepan and heat till it thickens. 
    Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
    Chill.  When completely chilled I put it in our electric ice cream maker.  It usually takes about 40 to 45 minutes for it to freeze.  It's more like soft serve when it's done so I put it in the freezer to firm it up a bit before spooning it onto the cookies.
    They weren't the prettiest but they sure are tasty. 
     

    1 comment: