Last year when we harvested our turkeys I made a killing cone out of some lightweight flashing. It barely held up through 6 turkeys but it got the job done. Yesterday I finally made a chicken-sized one since my friend has been giving me roosters every now and then.
This time I used leftover copper from when we had our roof done. I've used this copper for all kinds of things and will be disappointed when it's gone. A friend loaned me his riveting tool to hold the cone together. I'd never used one and was going to buy one because I thought it would be cheaper than ordering a killing cone online and paying shipping. What a neat tool. It was so simple to use and really handy. I'm trying to think of what else I'd use it for if I bought one.
I cut out a piece of paper in the shape and size I wanted my cone to be to use as a template. I got the dimensions from someone else's blog. It took me no more than 30 minutes to make the cone. It still has rough edges but if a chicken fits in I think I'm going to be really happy with it. No more hanging roosters by their feet with a bungie cord. Thanks, John, for being so generous with your tools.