Thursday, November 26, 2015

My big fat Greek Thanksgiving

And I mean FAT.  I don't think I've ever seen so much food served at a Thanksgiving meal as I did today.  Two days ago we got an invitation to join some friends of ours at a friend of theirs.  It seemed a bit odd go to some strangers' house for a holiday dinner when we didn't even know their last name.  I asked our friend, Omar, if it was really ok for us to show up and he assured me that this is common practice for other cultures to invite a bunch of people, i.e., friends of friends.  Omar is from Honduras.

The hosts were Greek and excellent cooks.  They own a restaurant so I don't know why I'd expect anything less.  I wish I took pictures of our appetizers because it was a meal in itself.  I had to pace myself eating the delicious lamb chops even though I could have eaten many more.  I bet there were 50 lamb chops on the platter.

When we moved indoors there was a feast waiting for us.  I was already full and then I saw this.
You can't see it all in this picture.  Turkey, more lamb, rice, pasta, potatoes, green beans, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes,  well, you get it.  All the while there was plenty of wine being passed around and the hostess kept asking why we weren't eating or drinking more.  It was hard to say no.

I'm beginning to think they didn't want us to leave unless we rolled out their door instead of walking. At least 6 desserts were served, a few I'd never heard of.
James and Adam are going to be very disappointed in my traditional American Thanksgiving meal next year if we eat at home.  I may have to learn some Greek recipes and invite friends of friends to our house.  I can't imagine cooking that much food though.  I have a heating pad on my stomach now.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment